www.brucein3d.com | email@example.com | 424-362-7186
Level Design | Environment Art
Los Angeles, CA
Passionate level designer and environment artist with over 9 years of production and international experience working to make some of the best gaming experiences imaginable. My own work is a mix of art, game design, and academic research contributing as a level designer, 3D modeler, programmer, and texture artist.
Blizzard Entertainment - Associate Technical Artist, February 2020 - Present
- Create tools written in Python and PyQt.
- Wrote a footage submission tool to manage real-time captures and versions for World of Warcraft and Diablo cinematics.
- Write custom Python scripts to speed up workflows including batch texture migration, pipeline checks, and merging texture sets in Autodesk Maya.
- Diagnose and solve animation pipeline problems ranging from rig issues to shading for Overwatch 2 and World of Warcraft.
- Cache, ingest, and update animation for proprietary game engines.
- Send captures to the render farm, monitor captures, and check for errors.
Pixologic - Designer and Plugin Developer, April 2019 - February 2020
- Create a diagnostic tool to assist the support team in troubleshooting users issues.
- Design and develop sculpting tools and plug-ins for future releases of ZBrush written in C++ using proprietary SDK's.
- Sculpt high poly meshes, retopologize, and test new features in ZBrush.
- Work with teams of developers and designers to create unique, artist-focused approaches to software, UI, and interaction.
Ohio State University - Graduate Research Assistant, August 2016 - April 2019
- Published "The Message in the Mechanics", game design research thesis.
- Invited to show Escape from the Glass Factory at the UCLA Game Art Festival where the game was played by over 200 people.
- Organized the 2018 Global Game Jam ACCAD location with over 40 students in attendance resulting in 5 playable games.
- Scripted a procedural UI system and model viewer for Canine Anatomy, an iPad app made in partnership with the OSU Veterinary School.
Sendai Board of Education - Assistant Language Teacher, September 2014 - August 2016
- Prepared and taught English lessons for eleven Japanese classes as a participant in the JET Program (Japanese Exchange and Teaching Program).
- Managed classrooms of approximately 40 non-native English speaking students.
- Volunteered as an English teacher at the Nagamachi Children’s Club in Sendai, Japan.
ASCD - Associate Producer and Video Editor, March 2012 - August 2014
- Worked with teams of designers and producers to create video and graphics concepts for feature documentaries.
- Routinely solve creative problems and complete digital products under strict deadlines.
- Operate camera, setup lighting, and record audio for over fifty productions.
Game Design / Level Design / Environment Art & Design / Shaders
Unreal / Unity / Radiant / Blender / Maya / Substance Designer & Painter / ZBrush / Marmoset Toolbag / Photoshop / After Effects
Ohio State University - M.F.A. Design, May 2019
Ohio University - B.S. Communications, May 2011
The Message in the Mechanics: Designing Game Mechanics that Reflect a Character's Mental State